Director at Altiero Spinelli Institute
The redistribution of power and wealth worldwide is generating, and will generate, increasing clashes and tensions between the different areas of the world. If an alternative solution in the management of globalization will not emerge, the only possible response will be, and is already happening, a return to protectionism and trade wars and monetary issues.
Europe must have a federal government in order to be able to act and respond effectively to the fears of the European and world citizens
Europe, who lived in first person the horrors of the periods of autarky and extreme nationalism occurred in the first post-war period, has a huge responsibility to find an alternative way to manage the problems of globalization. The entire political class needs courage. Europe must have a federal government in order to be able to act and respond effectively to the fears of the European and world citizens.
A government that has the power to promote the reform of supranational institutions, which is equipped with the necessary powers for implementing policies of redistribution of wealth, market management, defence of human rights, protection of the environment.
Unfortunately, it seems that the political class has not understood the responsibility which citizens have delegated to them. The President of the Lower Chamber of Italy, Gianfranco Fini, said, before the results of the vote were official, “If Irish people say no to the Treaty of Lisbon, we will be in a situation of an unprecedented crisis for the European institutions”.
I believe that, if 1% of the population of Europe is able to block the other 99%, we are facing an unprecedented crisis of democracy. If Ireland does not ratify the Treaty of Lisbon, the Prime Ministers of the other countries should indicate that the Treaty will come into force for those countries which have ratified it.
If Ireland does not ratify the Treaty of Lisbon, the Prime Ministers of the other countries should indicate that the Treaty will come into force for those countries which have ratified it.
Ireland said NO, but the other Governments can lead immediately to the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty. The European parliaments should also approve, on the occasion of ratification, a resolution that commits the Governments to the relaunch of the Constitutional process at any level of the European institutions, even among a vanguard of states, if unanimity will not be possible.
The problems of European citizens need a Government that can deal with them. Wait will only feed the fears and nationalist and protectionist pushes. It is time for those who imagine a different future to shoulder their responsibility.